• Judith Kaplan


What you need for Get a child support order

To get a child support order, you need to file a complaint (a written request of what you're seeking) in court. Start in the Registry of the Probate and Family Court for the county where you live.

If you're married to the other parent

If you're married and seeking a divorce, you file where you last lived together with your spouse if at least one of you still lives in that county. If you've both moved from the county where you last lived together, then you can file in the county where either you or your spouse now lives.

If you're seeking a divorce, see divorce for information and forms. If you want to file for separate support but don't want a divorce, see separate support for information and forms.

If you aren't married to the other parent

If the other parent hasn't signed a voluntary acknowledgement of paternity (a legal form signed by the mother and father, acknowledging they are the parents of the child) or been determined by a judge to be the parent, file a Complaint to Establish Paternity (CJD 106) in the county where the child lives.

If you aren't married to the other parent but paternity has been established by a voluntary acknowledgment or a court judgment, file a Complaint for Support, Custody, Visitation (CJD 109) in the county where the child lives.

For more information:


The Law Office of Judith R. Kaplan

Norwell Executive Center

167 Washintgon Street

Norwell, MA  02061


Tel: 781-923-1680

Fax: 781-923-1681​

Also available to meet clients at:

25 Braintree Hill Office Park, Suite 200

Braintree, MA  02184 

500 Victory Road, Suite 400

Marina Bay

Quincy, MA  02171

  • Facebook - White Circle
  • LinkedIn - White Circle
  • Twitter - White Circle
Contact Judy Kaplan

Privacy Policy and Disclaimers regarding use of and all of its site pages are available here.  By accessing and/or interacting with this site, you agree to the collection and use of your information in accordance with this Privacy Policy.

Disclaimer: Access to and use of this website, including receipt of materials posted on it and communicating through it with Attorney Kaplan, does not create or constitute an attorney-client or divorce mediator-client relationship. You understand and acknowledge the same when you contact Attorney Kaplan through this website. DO NOT send or share confidential and sensitive information through this website.  

© 2020 by Judith R. Kaplan. All rights reserved. General information about Massachusetts divorce mediation and divorce is provided on this website and should not be construed as legal advice or legal opinion in conjunction with any particular sets of facts.