• Judith Kaplan

What if my spouse wants the divorce but I don't?

Updated: Jan 24, 2019

This is a common question. Massachusetts is a no-fault divorce state. All your spouse has to tell the Massachusetts Probate and Family Court judge is there is no chance of reconciliation so it is virtually impossible to prevent a no-fault divorce in Massachusetts. This ground for divorce is based upon an "irretrievable breakdown" of the marriage. How difficult you want to make it for yourself, your spouse and your children is up to you. As angry or shocked as you may be and given you can't prevent the divorce, consider Massachusetts divorce mediation as a dignified and cost effective method of legally terminating your marriage. Discuss this option with Massachusetts divorce mediator Judith R. Kaplan during a consultation. The first-half hour of your fee will be waived.


The Law Office of Judith R. Kaplan

Norwell Executive Center

167 Washintgon Street

Norwell, MA  02061


Tel: 781-923-1680

Fax: 781-923-1681​

Also available to meet clients at:

25 Braintree Hill Office Park, Suite 200

Braintree, MA  02184 

500 Victory Road, Suite 400

Marina Bay

Quincy, MA  02171

  • Facebook - White Circle
  • LinkedIn - White Circle
  • Twitter - White Circle
Contact Judy Kaplan

Privacy Policy and Disclaimers regarding use of and all of its site pages are available here.  By accessing and/or interacting with this site, you agree to the collection and use of your information in accordance with this Privacy Policy.

Disclaimer: Access to and use of this website, including receipt of materials posted on it and communicating through it with Attorney Kaplan, does not create or constitute an attorney-client or divorce mediator-client relationship. You understand and acknowledge the same when you contact Attorney Kaplan through this website. DO NOT send or share confidential and sensitive information through this website.  

© 2020 by Judith R. Kaplan. All rights reserved. General information about Massachusetts divorce mediation and divorce is provided on this website and should not be construed as legal advice or legal opinion in conjunction with any particular sets of facts.